After much debating a week ago, I decided to suck it up and go to the doctor last Friday. My toe was red, swollen, and a little sore and I figured I should get it checked out in case it rotted off or something. I was pretty crabby about going, basically because I didn't want to have to wait forever, and since this is the 3 time I've been to the doc since I've moved to AL. I haven't been to the doc this much in the past 5 years of my life! My new thoughts are it wouldn't be normal if I didn't have something weird occur that would cause me to need to see the doc (ticks, puking, fat toe). Well, much to my surprise, I only waited 10 minutes tops! (I'm guessing when the nurse reads the sheet you fill out when you first check in...you know "what are you here for"....that they read I have a swollen toe and thought "this won't take long," so I got back fast!). The nurse takes me back and has me take off my shoe and sock and says, "Oh my goodness..what did you do? Did you break it?" Of course I go through the story of how it's been like this since November, etc. Shortly after, the doc comes in and says a similar sentence of, "What did you do?" After tapping, squeezing, and touching the toe, he decides that he has no idea what it is or what could have caused it. He first thought it looked similar to "hammer toe" which he explained can occur in diabetics that develop peripheral neuropathy. The circulation is poor in their extremities and eventually the toe will "keenk" (I have no idea how to spell that word) up, giving the look of a "hammer toe." But, he went on to say that my toes were nice an straight and since I'm no diabetic, most likely not the diagnosis. I asked him if it looked like it needed to be drained or lanced and his reply was, "Good idea. Let's do that. I like stabbing things." So he comes back with a needle and stabs my toe. The disappointing result was that not much oozed out. I was really expecting a geyser or gush, but it was really uneventful. However, he did swab it for a culture to see if it was infected and what it could be. So I left on my merry way to get my Rx of Doxycycline filled.
Since then, the toe doesn't seemed to have changed. I've been on the antibiotic for almost a week and it is still red (and leaning more towards purple in some spots) and fat. The nurse called yesterday to give me the culture results and they were normal. So....at least it's not staph or anything like that, but it's still a mystery. I'm thinking I'll finish the antibiotic I guess and if it's still the same I'll ask him where I should go next. Who knows?....it's a medical mystery. I'm just hoping it doesn't fall off. That may not be too good for my flip flop wearing or my dating life.
10 years ago
8 comments:
Very interesting. You don't think you are allergic to alabama? :)
glad it's not staph. hope it gets well soon!!
...in case it rotted off or something...
Ha!
Maybe you need to go see Dr. House! :)
What's it like being a doctor, going to see a doctor? Do they treat you differently?
Don't you love how you still don't know what is wrong with it? I hope it gets better soon!
Katie, hope your toe gets better. What a strange happening. If Mama were around I am sure she could diagnose you - probably without referencing her medical dictionary.
I sure miss her.
Aunt Diana
You're right Aunt Diana. She'd probably worry about my toe more than I am. I miss her too.
Happy to hear that it is not staph.
By the way - we missed you this past weekend for the girls' weekend.
Love,
Aunt Dana
Hmm. I thought I missed you at the girls weekend but now, not so much. I ain't sharin' a bed with that toe until it is diagnosed and found to not be contagious.:) I am just kidding. I am sorry about your toe. I hope it heals very soon!!
Post a Comment