Sunday, October 24, 2010

Just call me Betsy Ross...

I have been wanting a sewing machine for quite a while now, but I wanted to wait until I finished all of my schooling so that I would have plenty of time to play around and learn how to sew. For my birthday, I finally got what I wanted. I went to the Golden Needle in Cape Girardeau and found my gem.....meet my new Janome (pronounced Juh-no-me). So far I LOVE IT! I'm still very much a beginner, but I have made two pillows and a cute little bag for Matt's niece. Her birthday was a few weeks ago and I decided I'd take a try at appliqueing (sp?) and make her a little activity bag that she can put her toys and books in when they take her out somewhere when she gets bigger. My niece and nephew both had one when that they took to church and put their coloring books and toys, so I thought I'd try out my new machine and work on my skills and make Lanie one. It was a really tough make (mainly because I've never sewed in my life and had no pattern). I know those of you who sew probably think that it looks so simple, but when you have never sewed...it is hard! Though I had a few mess ups and it took what seemed like FOREVER to complete, I finished and the bag was a big hit! I'm actually very proud of how it turned out and I'm happy that I learned to applique! I'm still a work in progress though, so no requests for orders just yet :)


1 comment:

Max's Family said...

This bag is adorable! I love it! Your machine looks nice. I wish I could applique with mine. You can find super cute, cheap pdf patterns on etsy.com if you feel up to trying that out. I've found several things for Kate.