Sunday, August 7, 2011

New England Love

I love New England...plain and simple. Matt and I returned August 1st from our Boston/New York vacation. This was my first tour of Massachusetts and New York state, and I must say that I fell in love with the picturesque, postcard scenery. It was truly beautiful. We flew into Boston on Wednesday night (July 27th). We stayed in the Back Bay area of Boston. I had done much research on where to stay (Matt laughed at my
meticulous pouring over customer reviews), and our hotel ended up being the perfect spot to reside. We soon found out Boston was a very easy walking city, and we were at a great location to find our destinations with ease. We took a guided tour of the city (via the amphibious duck boats), took in a Red Sox game, had a tour of Fenway Park, visited numerous historical landmarks, and ate until our little hearts were content. We had wonderful meals and enjoyed dining at the famous Union Oyster House (oldest restaurant in the U.S.) and the Cheers pub, as well as authentic Italian in Boston's North End district. I have to say that I have visited several cities across the U.S., and Boston is by far my favorite city to date. It was clean, easy to transition through, and overall a beautiful city. So, my dear Boston...you now hold the key to my heart....when it comes to metropolitan/urban areas of course:)



Back to our itinerary...after 2.5 days in Beantown, we rented a car (a tiny little white Chevy Aveo), and headed south towards the upper portion of Cape Cod. We stopped in Plymouth, Mass. to take in views of the Mayflower II and Plymouth Rock. Plymouth is a very quaint little town, and the views of the harbor are beautiful. I also enjoyed the cute bed and breakfasts along the shore...pretty landscaping, neat old colonial houses with porches overlooking the harbor, and grass that was green and manicured...absolutely gorgeous there.


After our Pilgrim stop, we headed west toward Providence, Rhode Island. We made a quick leg-stretch stop in Providence, and then headed northwest toward Albany. A night in Albany was enough for me (scary!) before heading to Cooperstown, NY. (We did only see the downtown area of Albany, and it was during the evening when everything had shut down. It was a ghost town to say the least. So there may have been nicer parts. The city is on the Hudson River so at least he view was nice.)

The drive to Cooperstown was gorgeous with rolling hills of small dairy farms and old barns. It was as if we were driving in a Norman Rockwell picture...I loved it! Cooperstown is literally in the middle of nowhere, but we learned while we toured the Baseball Hall of Fame that it is located there because the father of baseball is from Cooperstown (who knew?). We spent about 6 full hours in the museum and hall of fame, reading through artifact after artifact....record after record...plaque after plaque. Matt said that it may be the only time he would ever come to Cooperstown, so he was going to make the most of his childhood dream:) I was glad to oblige and it was actually very neat.


After Cooperstown, we headed north toward the Adirondack Mountains. We had a late flight leaving Albany on Monday evening, so to make the most of our vacation, we drove north up into the Adirondacks and stopped in Lake Placid for lunch. We visited a 700 ft gorge and took in some gorgeous waterfalls, and finished up with some great photos of the mountains and nearby rivers and streams.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your beautiful descriptions and experiences in New England! Aunt Dana

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have known ya'll were going to Albany, I could've put you in a nice part of town close to PF Changs, Cheesecake Factory, Barnes and Noble, an awesome theater and more!

Looks like you had an amazing trip! I'm jealous! Boston is amazing!

Katie said...

Will...We didn't think to check with our travel agent:) We should have definitely called you to find out if you had been to Albany...downtown was scary at night!!!