











So…I’m officially in Alabama! Here’s a recap of the past 6 hectic days.
Thursday, July 31st:
My mother and I left Dexter early Thursday morning to make it to Florence by 1 pm for the final walk through of my house and for the closing at 2 pm. We each had our cars filled to the top. I couldn’t even see out the back window in my car. It’s amazing that even after throwing A LOT of stuff away when I moved back home from St. Louis, I still had that much stuff! I blame most of it on being a woman (lots of shoes and clothes). What can I say? I like to shop J Anyway, we got to my house and took Maggie’s (my puppy) kennel out and began to assemble it on the back patio. I had decided to put her there while we did the closing. As I was putting it together and we were waiting on my realtor, mom looked in the kitchen window and saw that nothing had been moved out!!! I was told several weeks ago that I would have possession at closing. Mom and I had planned specifically for this, so that we could begin cleaning the house prior to my dad, brothers, and my sis-in-laws trek the following day. What happened was basically this…the other realtor had told my realtor one thing and then went back on her word. So, frustration #1. My realtor felt bad and since we couldn’t get into the house until the next day (her mover’s were coming Friday morning around 8), she let my mom and I stay at her lake house on Shoals Creek. So I had to disassemble Maggie’s kennel, put her back in the little pet taxi (that she can barely fit in) and we were going to head to the lake house. Well here comes frustration #2….I have NEVER locked my keys inside my car, and for some reason, that day seemed to be my lucky day….my door was open and it blew shut and locked with the keys inside my car, with it running, and my dog inside…..AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! So, we tried to find a locksmith, but found a better route. The Nissan dealership took my VIN number and made me a new key for only $6. However, since bad luck seems to come in multiples, while we were at the dealership, it began to pour down rain….when the wind blew my door shut, it did not close all the way…just enough to lock, but still a small crack. Well, you can put 2 and 2 together. Frustration #3. I wish at the precise moment of when I finally got into my car, I was soaking wet, my driver’s side seat wet, and my dog (who’s afraid of storms currently), that I had a picture. It was a sorry sorry sad scene. BUT….the glass is always half full…mom and I got settled into the nice lake house, Maggie enjoyed playing on the boat dock, and we tried to relax before the craziness of moving began.
Friday, August 1st:
Mom and I enjoyed our morning at the lake house. I wondered how Maggie would do in a new surrounding, but she did very well. No accidents in her kennel! Since we had our hands tied until the lady was out of her house, I decided we should take care of banking, utility switch overs, and some other things. The lady was finally out around 1 pm, and mom and I were able to unload our cars, I put Mag’s kennel together for the 3rd time, and we went to buy cleaning supplies. The rest of the fam came late Friday evening. We enjoyed dinner together and then got busy moving. One highlight was the moving of my piano. My piano was given to us by my Grandmother. It was the original piano that she learned to play on, and it’s from the 1940s. Wes, David, and I all learned to play on it, but since I took lessons the longest, and kept at it, I got to have it. Kalee (my niece) began taking lessons last year, and it has been at Wes and Bonnie’s house. Since I have my own house, Wes said I could move it. Well, this piano is old and HEAVY!!! It takes at least 3 people to move and each of them have a grimace on their face when doing so. I have a front small room with a bay window in my house. I wanted to make it my office/music room. Well, the doorway and corners made it impossible to move it into the front room unless it was turned up on its side. So basically all of us had to help because the legs are fragile, and it’s so heavy. Well we made it thanks to the boys!
Saturday, August 2nd:
We began painting my living room and to small vestibule hallways. The previous owner was a big fan of pastel pink. I, however, not so much. I have vaulted ceilings so the boys brought the big 12 ft ladder for the high parts. With 6 sets of hands, the painting goes pretty fast. The new wallcolor “Hampshire Grey” (selected by Bonnie) looks great! I’ll post pics below.
Sunday, August 3rd:
We went to church, had lunch, and the boys and Jennifer left. I cried like a baby when they left (and I’m beginning to tear up now typing this). I’m so extremely close to my family and not seeing them every day like I have this summer is sad to me. Yes, I’ve been in St. Louis away from them, and I was in Hawaii for two whole months without seeing them, but I got spoiled the past 2 months. However, Jennifer is planning to come back down Labor Day weekend and I’m already looking forward to her visit! She’s my wingman and she’s going to help me survey the social scene. J
Mom and I got to work and painted my kitchen. It looks SO much better! I’m going to eventually get new countertops and attempt to tile my floor, but it will come later. It’s amazing what a coat of paint can do!
Monday, August 4th:
Mom and I worked on my kitchen until midnight. Monday we unpacked some more, and she began to tear down the wallpaper in my guest bathroom. Well, the wallpaper is the original wallpaper and it went behind the mirror. The lovely mirror was glued to the wallpaper. So well took down the gorgeous light fixture, I took screwdrivers and hammered them behind the mirror, and I broke the mirror in pieces so we could get it down. Don’t you just love home improvement??? Monday night mom and I painted my bedroom. Again, we were late night painters and woke up Tuesday exhausted.
Tuesday, August 5th:
We decided to paint my guest bathroom and the office/music room. These rooms were smaller and didn’t take too long. I really like the color of the music room. It really pops! Yesterday evening I treated my mother and myself to a manicure and pedicure since our nails were trashed from scraping and painting. It was a nice way to relax.
Wednesday, August 6th:
So now we’re up to today. Mom and I cleaned up our previous days messes and work. We made a Hobby Lobby run for our project of the day (slipcovers for my couches), and she left this afternoon. So, I’m officially by myself with my puppy. And yes, I bawled like a baby when she left too. I know things will be fine, it’s just the initial time of knowing you’re all alone. However, I am headed to church tonight and hoping to meet some people. Once I begin my routine and meet some AL folks, it will be much easier. But in the meantime, Mags and I are doing just fine. J
Here are some pics from the moving event:
Thursday, July 31st:
My mother and I left Dexter early Thursday morning to make it to Florence by 1 pm for the final walk through of my house and for the closing at 2 pm. We each had our cars filled to the top. I couldn’t even see out the back window in my car. It’s amazing that even after throwing A LOT of stuff away when I moved back home from St. Louis, I still had that much stuff! I blame most of it on being a woman (lots of shoes and clothes). What can I say? I like to shop J Anyway, we got to my house and took Maggie’s (my puppy) kennel out and began to assemble it on the back patio. I had decided to put her there while we did the closing. As I was putting it together and we were waiting on my realtor, mom looked in the kitchen window and saw that nothing had been moved out!!! I was told several weeks ago that I would have possession at closing. Mom and I had planned specifically for this, so that we could begin cleaning the house prior to my dad, brothers, and my sis-in-laws trek the following day. What happened was basically this…the other realtor had told my realtor one thing and then went back on her word. So, frustration #1. My realtor felt bad and since we couldn’t get into the house until the next day (her mover’s were coming Friday morning around 8), she let my mom and I stay at her lake house on Shoals Creek. So I had to disassemble Maggie’s kennel, put her back in the little pet taxi (that she can barely fit in) and we were going to head to the lake house. Well here comes frustration #2….I have NEVER locked my keys inside my car, and for some reason, that day seemed to be my lucky day….my door was open and it blew shut and locked with the keys inside my car, with it running, and my dog inside…..AAAAAHHHHHH!!!! So, we tried to find a locksmith, but found a better route. The Nissan dealership took my VIN number and made me a new key for only $6. However, since bad luck seems to come in multiples, while we were at the dealership, it began to pour down rain….when the wind blew my door shut, it did not close all the way…just enough to lock, but still a small crack. Well, you can put 2 and 2 together. Frustration #3. I wish at the precise moment of when I finally got into my car, I was soaking wet, my driver’s side seat wet, and my dog (who’s afraid of storms currently), that I had a picture. It was a sorry sorry sad scene. BUT….the glass is always half full…mom and I got settled into the nice lake house, Maggie enjoyed playing on the boat dock, and we tried to relax before the craziness of moving began.
Friday, August 1st:
Mom and I enjoyed our morning at the lake house. I wondered how Maggie would do in a new surrounding, but she did very well. No accidents in her kennel! Since we had our hands tied until the lady was out of her house, I decided we should take care of banking, utility switch overs, and some other things. The lady was finally out around 1 pm, and mom and I were able to unload our cars, I put Mag’s kennel together for the 3rd time, and we went to buy cleaning supplies. The rest of the fam came late Friday evening. We enjoyed dinner together and then got busy moving. One highlight was the moving of my piano. My piano was given to us by my Grandmother. It was the original piano that she learned to play on, and it’s from the 1940s. Wes, David, and I all learned to play on it, but since I took lessons the longest, and kept at it, I got to have it. Kalee (my niece) began taking lessons last year, and it has been at Wes and Bonnie’s house. Since I have my own house, Wes said I could move it. Well, this piano is old and HEAVY!!! It takes at least 3 people to move and each of them have a grimace on their face when doing so. I have a front small room with a bay window in my house. I wanted to make it my office/music room. Well, the doorway and corners made it impossible to move it into the front room unless it was turned up on its side. So basically all of us had to help because the legs are fragile, and it’s so heavy. Well we made it thanks to the boys!
Saturday, August 2nd:
We began painting my living room and to small vestibule hallways. The previous owner was a big fan of pastel pink. I, however, not so much. I have vaulted ceilings so the boys brought the big 12 ft ladder for the high parts. With 6 sets of hands, the painting goes pretty fast. The new wallcolor “Hampshire Grey” (selected by Bonnie) looks great! I’ll post pics below.
Sunday, August 3rd:
We went to church, had lunch, and the boys and Jennifer left. I cried like a baby when they left (and I’m beginning to tear up now typing this). I’m so extremely close to my family and not seeing them every day like I have this summer is sad to me. Yes, I’ve been in St. Louis away from them, and I was in Hawaii for two whole months without seeing them, but I got spoiled the past 2 months. However, Jennifer is planning to come back down Labor Day weekend and I’m already looking forward to her visit! She’s my wingman and she’s going to help me survey the social scene. J
Mom and I got to work and painted my kitchen. It looks SO much better! I’m going to eventually get new countertops and attempt to tile my floor, but it will come later. It’s amazing what a coat of paint can do!
Monday, August 4th:
Mom and I worked on my kitchen until midnight. Monday we unpacked some more, and she began to tear down the wallpaper in my guest bathroom. Well, the wallpaper is the original wallpaper and it went behind the mirror. The lovely mirror was glued to the wallpaper. So well took down the gorgeous light fixture, I took screwdrivers and hammered them behind the mirror, and I broke the mirror in pieces so we could get it down. Don’t you just love home improvement??? Monday night mom and I painted my bedroom. Again, we were late night painters and woke up Tuesday exhausted.
Tuesday, August 5th:
We decided to paint my guest bathroom and the office/music room. These rooms were smaller and didn’t take too long. I really like the color of the music room. It really pops! Yesterday evening I treated my mother and myself to a manicure and pedicure since our nails were trashed from scraping and painting. It was a nice way to relax.
Wednesday, August 6th:
So now we’re up to today. Mom and I cleaned up our previous days messes and work. We made a Hobby Lobby run for our project of the day (slipcovers for my couches), and she left this afternoon. So, I’m officially by myself with my puppy. And yes, I bawled like a baby when she left too. I know things will be fine, it’s just the initial time of knowing you’re all alone. However, I am headed to church tonight and hoping to meet some people. Once I begin my routine and meet some AL folks, it will be much easier. But in the meantime, Mags and I are doing just fine. J
Here are some pics from the moving event:
1 comment:
Your house is so cute! I love the paint color. Hope you're doing well!
Post a Comment