Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Spew Drive

Hi all. I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. Mine was great! It was very nice to be back home in Missouri with family and friends. I'm looking forward to more time with them over Christmas :) So I haven't had a funny "happening" to myself in a while, but my trip back to Bama on Sunday was a doozy. I thought I'd share my experience with you all. Granted it was in no shape or form fun, pretty, or good...but, now that it's over I can laugh I guess.

So Sunday morning this all started. I started not feeling well during church, and I had a little headache. I thought my headache was from not having any caffeine that morning, so I had a coke for lunch, but the "unsettled" stomach was still present. My lovely mother had fixed a yummy lunch for our family, and I was so looking forward to eating it, but I ended up not having much of an appetite. I had planned on leaving Dexter around 2ish, but decided to rest and see if I felt better afterwards. The little nap seemed to have given me a second wind, so I decided to go ahead and leave for AL. Well about 60 miles into the drive (which by the way was terribly icky....cold, gray, rainy...yuck!), I began to feel a little bad again. It wasn't really bad, tolerable, so I didn't want to turn around and go back. I kept on going and though it seemed like a good idea at the time, I just got worse and worse further into the trip. I was hot, then I was cold...I felt overall just yucky....and my stomach did not suit me. I called my mother crying because I felt so bad. All I wanted was to be home so she could take care of me. It was nasty outside, I felt I couldn't stop for delaying my getting back to AL, and I felt TERRIBLE!!! The worst part was I still had like 2 hours left to drive. I kept going (luckily Maggie was asleep in the front seat and didn't bother me). About 50 miles outside of Florence I knew I'd lose cell service so I called my boss, told him what time I should be back to town, and if he didn't hear from me then (b/c he was going to help me set Mag's kennel back up), then I probably was sick on the side of the road somewhere. Well, I was about 30 min away from getting back to town, and I did not make it. There are literally no good places to pull over between Savannah, TN and Florence. I didn't feel like I was going to throw up, but evidentally my stomach thought otherwise. I have never experienced anything as gross as this. I literally threw up all over myself while driving. I had to pull over in this muddy gravel, threw up some more, and then tried to clean my car up...all the while it is cold and raining. Awesome. I have never felt so disgusting in all of my life. I drove the rest of the way into Florence, called my boss to tell him not to come because I was covered in my own puke...gross and way embarrassing. I only got out Mag's kennel, and left everything else in the car. I did, however, roll down my windows to air out the smell. It was terrible. I went to the doc the following morning, and like I thought, I had a virus. I'm feeling much better now, but my car is still holding a mild scent of my Thanksgiving leftovers. If anyone knows of a good way to remove the smell of vomit from upholstry, I'd really appreciate it any advice or ideas. All I can say, I guess, is....welcome back to Alabama Katie.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!! That has to be the worst, to feel so bad in the middle of nowhere. I hope you're feeling better!

Scarlett said...

I'm so sorry you got sick! That's got to be no fun!!! There's this stuff I found called "Kids and Pets" that removes a multitude of stains and odors from carpet, upholstery, clothing. It works for Housebreaking Pets, Potty Training, Bed Wetting, Vomiting, Incontinence, Diarrhea, Food & Beverage Spills and is also a laundry pretreating liquid. AWESOME!!! It's at Walmart for something like $4.97 for a big bottle. Good luck!!

Julie Young said...

I had the stomach bug tuesday night. I threw up every 20 min for 6 hrs! I really thought that I was going to die. I never threw up on myself though. :) Yuck!!

Katie said...

I'm feeling much better. I'll have to try that cleaner, Scarlett. Thanks for the tip!

And Julie, I would say that you're not technically "cool" until you've puked on yourself...but let's be honest....so not true....it's gross and a little embarassing :)

Jenni said...

Oh, katie! It's okay, I was covered, not once but twice, with Eli's puke Sunday night, and he had alot, I MEAN ALOT, of corn for lunch. Kevin laughed at me, and then Eli fired one on him later that evening when they were lying in bed. HM, sometimes payback is so sweet. Glad you are feeling better, so is Eli, by the way. Sunday was not such a great day, huh?

"The Activist" said...

i do know that if you leave an apple cut in half in your car, like under the seat, that it absorbs smells. so maybe after the cleaning stuff, you can just stick an apple in there, and after a few days, maybe the lingering odor will vanish!

i must say that i never thought i could be *ok* with having another human being throw up on me - but once julianna had the flu and did it for like 3 days in a row - no warning - i got over it. but throwing up on oneself is in another category altogether.

sorry about that - but hey, it made for a great blog, with an even better blog title!

Katie said...

Thanks Jenni! Sounds like me and Eli were in the same icky boat.

Oh, and glad my "spew" allowed for a good read, Krista :)

Ashlee said...

Hmm. I think I feel kind of sick now that I read about your vomit! I couldn't seem to not get a visual of the whole event. That must have been awful. It sure was awful in my mind!

Will and Melodie said...

Bless her! Glad you're better!

Anonymous said...

Oh, Katie, I am so glad that you are feeling better. Puking is never fun, but in the car, all over yourself, is not quite the party you had planned, is it? The visuals in your story and Jenni's were great. I wonder how Ashlee is feeling? HA

I sure do like your personal stories. I like the facts, but your stories are always so funny!!!! I am so happy that you are better. Keep us posted on the car smell and what works.

Love,
Aunt Frances

Caroline Bilstein said...

Oh Katie, bless your heart, that is awful! Don't feel bad though, I puked all over myself on the way home from work back in August so I know how you feel. Bella has also puked on my face, yes, on my face. she turned around and let it fly, FUN TIMES....