Yes, that's right...I've been trying to consume my time with projects that will keep me busy. I know you're thinkin
g, "What?! You're actually bored in rural southeast Missouri?" I know know...how could I be? :) But seriously, being back home has been great (being with family and such), but not working right now is driving me insane!!! After the first week of not working, I thought that it was nice to have a break. But by mid week of week 2, I was ready to work again. Well, since my starting date with my new job will most likely not be until early September, I have quite a bit of time on my hands. I will be headed to Washington D.C. next week with Jennifer for the American Optometric Association's annual meeting, so I'm very much looking forward to the trip. After that, I will begin another round of online MBA classes (I'm taking two starting in July---accounting and statistics---oh boy), so that will take up some time. However, until then...I've been working on some projects. My only problem is that I finish the projects too fast!!! :) Here's some pictures of what I did for my mom and dad...
Here's what the cabinets in one of their bathrooms looked like before...
And here's what they look like now....
I distressed them.

I have always wanted to distress cabinets or furniture. I re-finished my parents cabinets in their guest bathroom last summer (the pic of the mahogany stained cabinets), but I have never attempted a distress finish. I'm pretty proud of my first-time results.

I also painted the bathroom...
And I put up a new light fixture...
Quick sidenote....if you haven't heard...I sold my house! I had a buyer accept my offer about a week and a half ago, so I am very relieved. Though my house was still my little official tie to AL (making me still a resident I guess), I am glad that I don't have to worry anymore about whether it will sell during this recession. A definite answered prayer!!! I will close in July so to all my Florence friends, I'll be back down soon :)
6 comments:
Good to hear from you Katie! Why don't you come spend of that free time you have in AL!! :)
Wow... I am definitely impressed! I need a tutorial. Where/how did you learn how to do that? I have a cherry piece of furniture in my living room that I really want to distress. It has the old gold fancy drawer handles and all that, and it definitely needs and update!
Congrats on selling your house! That's a huge relief!! I am impressed at all of your projects!
Haley...I actually didn't have much to go by. I tried researching on the web, but nothing was much help. My mom had some furniture refinished and so I asked the guy who did it.
Basic steps:
-sand the piece really well.
-for a white or lighter distress like I did, the "trick" is to do a "not so good" coat of paint. It's okay if it's not even, and I used a flat paint base.
-once dry, use a finer grade and sand on corners or any areas you want more distressed.
-go over with the stain (on the entire piece), and rub off with cheesecloth.
Oh, and be sure to wipe off after sandings...tack clothes work the best :)
Good luck!!!
So fun to see all of your projects. You crack me up how you can do things like that! Looking forward to your July visit...miss you!
Well, if you are that bored, feel free to come to my house and work a little of your your handywoman magic down here. I will bake cookies:)
Post a Comment