Since I've recently moved to a brand new state, I figured I'd share some things that I've recently learned about my new whereabouts.
1. first of all, they're called "Alabamans" not "Alabamians." Didn't know it.
2. Alabama means "tribal town"...word from the Creek Indian tribe. Again, didn't know it.
3. Nickname: Heart of Dixie or the Yellowhammer State. I did know the Yellowhammer thing (weird...how I knew that I'm not sure).
4. State song: Alabama (how original)
5. Dinosaur fossils found in AL (I'm listing this b/c it just makes me laugh for some reason): Lophorhothon and Nodosaurus....never heard of either....what happened to plain in simple TRex or Brontasaurus?
6. State Game Bird: Wild Turkey......surprising this is even listed as a fact...
7. State Flower: Camillia
8. State Tree: Southern longleaf pine (Pinus palustris)....I did not know the scientific name to this......I only state that because oddly I know the scientific names of a lot of trees....point being.....I was a nerd in college.
9. On this fact sheet they have facts about the state nut, quilt, dance, etc.......all things that I didn't even know states made facts about.....odd
10. follow up to #9.....does it ever make you wonder how they come up with these facts? I mean is there someone who's sole purpose/job is to come up with state facts? I know the usual ones, but the facts that are kind of weird......and who votes on this stuff?
***As you can see, I have had ample time to think about this stuff this morning at work......the amount of patients is pretty light currently.
11. soda is not a term (which this I already knew)....coke, what kind? And I do realize that if I have one nuance that labels me midwestern, it would be my calling it "soda." However, I still claim that I am not a Yankee or "midwestern" as I've been called since I've been here by a few.
12. the question, "Who are you for?" is like a top 5 question to ask someone new to the area. I had no idea even what they were talking about until I got my AL football education. AL Crimson Tide or Auburn Tigers....my polite answer thus far....neither....but I do follow up with a explanation that I do support the SEC (go Hogs!).
12. Missouri is considered far far away to some people. A common response to when I reply to people where I'm from....."Wow....you're really far from home." Not really.....SE MO and NW AL.....not that far apart. It's hard for people to remember the shapes of states other than their own. So when you describe my beloved Bootheel and say, "you know MO has the little tail in the corner and it's referred to as the boot?" (a few have looked at me like I'm an idiot), only some can remember MO's shape.
13. Welcome to the state of post hurricane rains......doesn't really happen back home.
14. I finally learned what "War Eagle" means....I was confused for about 2 weeks.
FINALLY......Let me clarify....I'm not typing any of this to make fun, degrade, or snicker at any of my new Alabaman friends. Thus far, the people of Florence, AL have been so warm and welcoming.....one of the nicest towns I've ever been to and so far so good :)
Disclaimer: I refuse to become a Braves fan.......I've been told by multiple sources that if I live here long enough, I'd follow Atlanta. For the record...I will never ever ever ever ever ever ever become a Braves fan. Not because I hate them or anything...just that I will always 100% be loyal to the one and only St. Louis Cardinals.
10 years ago
5 comments:
never say never!!! :) glad you're here!
I just learned a lot about Alabama myself. It is funny how when you live here you sometimes don't even know all that stuff.
Wow! Now thanks to you, I think I could move to Alabama and feel pretty knowledgeable. After the day I have had with the boys, I would like to move there tomorrow. Do you have room or want a roommate?
I've run into a lot of the same things you have. The area that I live in is referred to locally as "Florabama". Everyone around here is a Braves fan too. I'm with you....I'll never give up my beloved Cardinals!!!
Love,
Robyn
You are from a different state and know more than I do! Thanks for the geography lesson! Glad you're here and Roll Tide has a nice ring to it!
Post a Comment