Monday, October 20, 2008

The Upcoming Day of UN-insuredness

When I took my job here in lovely AL, one of the offered benefits was health insurance. I was informed that my coverage with BCBS would not begin until after 90 days of working at my new job. Well when you do the math, that put me at BCBS taking effect on Nov 1st. So, in the meantime I took out a policy with Assurant Health. So I called them today to notify them of my wishes to cancel my policy with them on Nov 1st. Well first of all I had to go through the menu with the annoying recorded person asking me "How can I help you? and I'm sorry, I didn't get that." I HATE those things. I learned quickly that if you hit "0" they will normally connect you to someone. So I learned that my coverage goes from pay period to pay period (I'm sure I was informed of this when I took out my policy, but I didn't pay attention to it), and that my next payment would be Oct 31st. My current coverage is until Oct 30th and if I wished for coverage on the 31st, I would owe the premium for the next month of coverage. BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! So I thought about it. I've never broken a bone, have only been in 1 car wreck (granted I did flip it upside down), and rarely get sick....I decided that I'd take a chance on Oct 31st, rather than pay another $100 bucks for a day of coverage and 29 days of double coverage. It's just a weird thought. I know A LOT of people don't have insurance, but I don't think I've gone a day in my life without it....until Oct 31, 2008. I hope I'm not jinxing myself because that day is Halloween. Ideas for that day though....1. don't leave my house without wearing a padded suit; 2. be placed inside a bubble; or 3. if I do break something or need medical assistance, develop a higher pain threshold.
Actually maybe I'll just pray for a normal, run-of-the-mill day, that is accident free :)

3 comments:

Caroline Bilstein said...

Girl, you are brave! My luck would not allow me to do that. I will definately be praying for an accident free, healthy day for you. :)

Julie Young said...

That is too funny! I am going to think about you on Oct 31st, 2008! Maybe you should just not leave the house. Curl up on the couch and eat chocolate, watch girly movies...etc...
Ok I am getting carried away!

Will and Melodie said...

That is funny that of all days to not be covered it is Halloween! You could be something really creative for the Harvest Festival! I just can't think of anything fun right now! Good luck!