Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Urrgghh...the bookcase




So this is a random post (probably like most), but I felt the need to write about my new bookcase. I've been wanting/needing a bookcase for my front office/music room. Since I've moved in, that room has become the catch all room (mainly of books and photo albums) that has yet to be unpacked. The entire room has just been sitting and waiting for me to fix it up, and I've been finally able to do so. I bought wood blinds for my 3 windows and this past weekend I put them up. Well, honestly my 60ish year old neighbor did because I had difficulty drilling through the aluminum of the window casement, but nevertheless they are up! I was all excited because I had ordered a bookcase from Target and things for my orange room were beginning to come together. So yesterday I get home from work and I find 2 VERY long cardboard boxes on my doorstep. (I'm posting a picture so you get the visual). The boxes are taller than me and for Callie Lillard, they were total BABs (inside joke). For the record, I enjoy my independence and love doing things around my house all by myself. However, there are those certain times when you need help. Ummm...yeah...as much as I hate to admit it, I needed help (and probably a guy's help). And me being the smart rock that I am decided to start working on putting it together at 9 pm being a really convenient time to call and ask for assistance. It was kind of a once you start, you can't stop type deal. Those boxes were so heavy and long that I didn't think I'd ever be able to get them through my front door. I scrambled/lugged those two suckers into my house in some way and the whole time I was wishing for my dad and brothers. But I made it. After basically killing myself to get them inside, I looked on the side of the box and saw it labeled, "Heavy...Team Lift Recommended." Nice Katie. The actual assembling wasn't too terrible (thanks to the fine people of China). But getting the pieces (that are so tightly packed into the super skinny boxes) out was an additional feat in itself. However, I did manage and I got it together. It looks really pretty against my Benjamin Moore "Rust" colored wall. Lesson learned: ask for assistance when needed. You're guaranteed to feel much better the next day.

8 comments:

Julie Young said...

I love it! I also LOVE the room color. Sort of Auburn orange. :)

Scarlett said...

I'm proud of you for putting it together without quitting! I'd love to see the final decorated room! Oh, and Julie----she said, "Rust" not War Eagle Orange. Katie, I'll be sad if you cheer for Auburn! HAHA! Just kidding everyone! :)Love you Julie!

Katie said...

As I've said before...I won't choose...I would like to keep the friends I've made :)

Scarlett said...

ha!

Kimberly said...

You should have called me!! I love to put stuff together like that. I probably would not have been much help in the heavy lifting part though. It looks great!!

Katie said...

I'll definitely call for help next time...thanks!

Kayla said...

Looks good!! I love the wall color. That actually reminds me of my smaller bookcase story. I was eight months pregnant and trying to haul a bookshelf out of my car. Lukily my neighbor saw me and put a stop to it. After that, I started putting it together at about 7 and didn't realize I left my phone in the car. No one could get in touch with me and they all thought I had gone into labor! Anyway, I got it put together and was very proud :)

Callie said...

Haha. I'm very proud of you! Very cute bookshelf.